Content, or written language, is old. We use it every day but it has been around for quite some time. We use it for everything from reminder notes to comprehensive reports. The oldest and most consistent written language has been around since 3200 B.C. from Mesopotamia, yet even in this modern day and age, are we using it to its full potential? Content can be a major difference in the success or failure of a business.
In today’s digital marketing world we use something called content marketing. Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience. It is not the practice of just throwing some words together and hoping for a good result. It is a systematic way of utilizing language to drive your business.
Content marketing is not new. It has been around for quite some time but it has had a major resurgence as we are entering an age where consumers want to be informed more than ever. Major companies use Content Marketing on everything from Websites, Cereal Boxes, and Billboards. In our home state of Michigan you can see this all around and from big companies as well as small. The Kellogg Company out of Battle Creek, MI is a great example of content marketing. How do you know which cereals are targeted for children and which are for adults? Their boxes have different content on them. Froot Loops often has stories, games, and funny jokes on the back of the box that kids enjoy while Special K often highlights health values, nutrition, and lifestyle that would attract an adult customer.
Content Marketing has three key benefits that all companies, large or small, should be taking advantage of immediately.
- Increased sales – Well crafted content can be the deciding factor when a consumer decides to purchase something.
- Cost savings – Content Marketing can be low cost and can also be re-used as long as it remains relevant
- Loyal and Engaged Customers – Educating or entertaining your customer base is essential to instill loyalty to your brand. It instills comfort and confidence and keeps them coming back.
So we have established that Content, when well written and relevant, can help your business. So how do you go about this? Major corporations have whole departments allocated for this type of thing, but not everyone has this advantage. In some cases, a new business will be limited by what they can do. It is important to make choices for where you think you will get the most exposure. If you are selling a product then packaging could be where you want your best content. If you are selling a service then perhaps a website or pamphlet may be better suited to your needs. It’s up to you to make the best decision of where you want the content to go. It can be used in a variety of ways as well. Here are some of the ways the big companies use content marketing:
- Social Media marketing like Facebook, Twitter, Etc.
- SEO: Search engines reward businesses that publish quality, consistent content.
- PR: Successful strategies use content to engage readers with what they care about
- PPC: Pay Per Click doesn’t really work if there is not engaging content to entice a customer to click
- Outbound or Inbound Sales: Content can be used in a smart way to engage customers, try to stay away from devious methods that may make the customer feel tricked. Straightforward and educational content is always best for retaining customers.
- Content strategy: Content doesn’t do anything if it misses its mark. Know your audience and know your strengths and weaknesses.
“Content is King” is a popular saying in our company. We believe that giving your customer the most relevant, educational, and useful information is the key to success. Whether you are hiring freelancers, have a department for content, or doing it all yourself, remember to be true to what you are and what you want from your customers. Always backup what you are putting out there in your content. If you have any questions about Content Marketing and what could work for you then please don’t hesitate to contact us here a T22 Media. We are a Grand Rapids, MI based company, but we service companies nationwide, and we are here to help.